Configuring a Runner Group
When using an on-prem runner installation, it can be desirable to install more than one runner.
Reasons for installing multiple runners
Redundancy: If a runner isn't reachable or isn't available, having more than one configured runner will decrease the chances of Automation downtime.
Scale: If a single machine/container with a runner cannot handle the amount of executions, having more than one runner installed results in load-distribution between the installed runners.
Prerequisites for runner group installation
- The original runner installation key that was used in the installation of the first runner in the group (the runner which you want to scale)
- If an external secret manager is used, all runners must be configured with the same secret manager configuration
- If internal network resources are used by the runners, all runners must be capable of reaching these resources through their network configuration
Scaling up a runner group
Retrieve the current runner installation key.
Locate the runner you want to scale up, and make sure you have access to the runner installation key that was used when you installed it. If you cannot retrieve this key, follow the next steps to configure a new runner installation key:
- In Blink platform, go to your desired workspace > Runners > Add Runner.
- Check Set as default to replace the default runner and create the new one.
- If your existing runner is a:
- Docker runner: turn it off, and re-start it by running the command provided in the dialog box under the Docker tab.
- Kubernetes runner: update its key by running the command provided in the dialog box under the Helm tab.
- Cloudformation runner: update it by accessing the existing cloudformation stack, and inserting the new provided installation key.
Install your additional runner.
To install a secondary runner in the same runner group, use any of the runner installation methods to install it. You can install multiple runners using the same method (for example, two cloudformation runners) or different methods (for example, one k8s runner and one docker runner).
After running the second installation, while keeping the first runner working, select your runner in the platform. Under Instances you will see more than one row.
Default Runner Group
The out-of-the-box default Runner Group in each Workspace is the
Blink Cloud Runner Group.
Once you have deployed your own Runner Group, you can set it as the default Runner Group by selecting the
Set as default action in the 3 dots menu of each Runner Group.